Student Profile: Amelia Coleman

Student Profile: Amelia Coleman

1. What makes your family unique to other families you know?

Like many other Seton families, ours is unique in the fact that we have nine homeschooled children.

We also travel to New Mexico, where my Dad is from, to visit family at least once a year. We used to fly, but as our family keeps growing we switched to driving our fifteen passenger van.

We like to take new routes to see different scenery. Our labradoodle, Reina, comes with us and lies on the floorboards between the seats!

Once we even brought a kitten back, and I held it on my lap almost the entire two thousand miles back to our home in Wisconsin. In New Mexico, we spend time with our grandparents and visit my grandma’s racehorse farm. We enjoy a lot of Mexican food, especially tamales and enchiladas.

2. What is an average homeschooling day with Seton like for you?

I am an early bird, and I thrive on checklists and schedules.

First, I wake up and bike to 6:30am Mass. Next, I work out and shower. Then my family leaves for a later Mass, and I enjoy an hour of quiet. I usually attack my schoolwork for the day at this time. When my family comes home, we eat breakfast together and I do more school. Sometimes I bike to the library for a few hours. The time I finish my work always varies.

After school, I like to go outside and shoot baskets with my brothers or by myself. In the winter, I sometimes go to the YMCA. Otherwise, I read, write, take pictures, or draw.

3. What’s something you have done that you really enjoyed doing?

Two springs ago, I was able to go with my grandparents to Krakow, Poland for my uncle’s ordination. I love to travel, and it was my first time being out of the country. My uncle showed us around all week and we saw some amazing things. We even went by train to Warsaw and by bus to the concentration camp in Auschwitz.

We got around Krakow on foot or by tram. I heard new types of music and saw beautiful churches, including buildings once inhabited by St. Faustina, St. John Paul II, and the prison cell of St. Maximillian Kolbe. I tried tons of new foods, all of which were delicious. It was a thrilling experience!

4. What are your hobbies and interests?

I have so many hobbies and interests it’d be hard to put them all down…I’m interested in almost everything!

I have always loved animals, especially cats. I also love the world, traveling, new places, languages, and cultures. Geography has always been my favorite school subject. English literature is another favorite of mine.

I love to read and write fiction and poetry. My favorite author (perhaps not-surprisingly) is J.R.R. Tolkien, and I am a Lord of the Rings fanatic.

Also, I really enjoy drawing, painting, photography, and playing the piano and ukulele.

Finally, I love nature and spending time outside. Some of my favorite things to do are play sports, hunt, camp, hike, ski, learn about wilderness survival, and do rock climbing and archery.

5. What are some things you do as a family and on your own that you particularly enjoy?

My family loves sports. We have all played many different sports through the local Catholic schools or rec departments.

My favorite sport is basketball, but I have also played several years of and loved softball, soccer, track and field, volleyball, and once even football. We play together in the yard all of the time, and attend each others’ games.

We like to keep each others’ personal stats. My dad coaches my brothers in baseball, and they usually have very successful seasons. In March, we always fill out the March Madness brackets with extended family.

Also, the football season is taken very seriously in our family, and we each have our own favorite team. Every year we see a Brewer’s baseball game, and occasionally we go up to Lambeau Field for a Packers’ football game.

My brothers and I love to hunt, and we’ve gone every winter for the last two years with our uncles and dad. Last hunting season, I shot and killed my first buck with one perfect shot!

6. What do you hope to do in the future?

After college, I’d love to have a family and run a photography studio. I’d write and illustrate books for children and young adults in my spare time, hoping by my contributions to bring the media, and the young people effected by it, little by little back to God.

Otherwise, I’d be interested in becoming a nurse, most likely a birth and labor nurse. It is a dream of mine (but probably not a realistic one) to become a photojournalist or wildlife photographer for National Geographic, and I’d also love to try lay missionary work for a year or two.

I am so excited to go out into the world. I feel that with a good education and a wide scope of imagination and interests, the future is waiting for me!

39 Comments

1. Elodie Pierlot

Wow, Amelia! Your life sounds fantastic! I would love to be one of nine, and do all the amazing things you do! I used to shoot archery for fun, and I love photography too… but it was (and is) my dream to hunt! Do you hunt with a rifle/gun or a bow and arrow like Robin Hood??? That would be so cool! My mum used to play county basketball…. it always was like a legend to me, to play basketball but I’m not a particularly sporty person! :) Good job, Amelia! :)

• Amelia Coleman

Thanks Elodie! I hunt with a gun, but someday I think it’d be awesome to get into bowhunting :)

2. Emily McKinnon

This is amazing, Mia! :D Your life sounds very exciting! It’s so cool that you hunt! (I wanna do that someday…) I think it’s really neat all the stuff that you do, and all the stuff that you want to do! God Bless! <3

• Amelia Coleman

Thanks Emi <3

3. Alyssum Pylar

Hi Amelia!
    Too cool — you got to go to Poland! You’re so lucky!
    I used to play basketball and I’m also a Lord of the Rings fanatic — we have a lot in common!:)

• Amelia Coleman

Awesome! I like your profile, too :))

4. HolyHobbit

YEEEEEES! TOLKIENITES UNITE! thats so so neat that you went to Poland!! And English is boooooooss (of course). XD I play piano and uke too!! what kinds of music do you like to play? i feel ya on the media thing which is why i would love to write too! theres so much junk in the world of literature, props to you for wanting to make it better!!!! SSSAAAAAAMMME! I want to be a obstetrics nurse as well!! high five girl!

• Amelia Coleman

Awesome! Wow, we really have a lot in common! Are you on SWC by any chance?

• HolyHobbit

SWC?

• Amelia Coleman

Seton Writer’s Club. Or are you on SMB?

• HolyHobbit

Also, SMB??? probly something also awesome…

• Amelia Coleman

That’s seton message board. It’s not very good because it’s really outdated. I’m not on much at all.

• HolyHobbit

Oh yeah, a little but I feel ya, it is pretty oldish…I’m kate_payne because my whole family uses it,

• Amelia Coleman

okay. You should consider joining SWC :)

• HolyHobbit

Oooh! I will definitely consider it, thanks for tipping me off!

• Clare

It’s still cool though, it’s good if you just want to message people and stuff.

• Amelia Coleman

And to answer your question, I don’t know, random songs, mostly xD I’m not really into music, but I do like playing it, if that makes any sense haha

• HolyHobbit

THERE’S A SETONS WRITER CLUB??? lol yes, that makes sense! 😃

• Amelia Coleman

Yes! It’s seton writers club dot net. Ask for Luthien Tinuviel or Mia :) It’s so much fun!

5. Giselle Faber

Mia!!! Awesome post!!!!!! You do us proud!! <3 <3

• Amelia Coleman

Thanks Zelie c:

• Emily McKinnon

Now we just need Zelie to write up her student profile…..*nudge nudge, wink, wink, hint, hint* ;) XD

• Giselle Faber

@emily_mckinnon:disqus Lol, very subtle there, Emi!! But you know I don`t like talking about myself! Not much anyway! xD

• Emily McKinnon

Aw, c’mon Zelie! You gotta do it at some point! :D Everyone would love to read it! Please? <3

Oh, Ikr? I'm very subtle. xP

• Giselle Faber

Alright, fine. *le sigh*. I promise to do it sometime when I have a little extra time, which I am very short of. And no, I haven`t been on in ages. Sorry bout that, but internet problems. However, we finally got decent internet, so I`m hoping to get on sometime this week. I`ve missed everyone!!!

• Emily McKinnon

You’d better. ;) Yeah, I know how that goes… I’ve been //so crammed// with everything lately. I haven’t had a free moment in forever. I’ve been sick too, so that’s just been adding to the stress. *le sigh* Oh, yipee! You’ve definitely been missed too,that’s for sure! <3333

have you heard or seen anything about a new BB contest, by any chance? Sites haven't been working the greatest for me, haha.

Oh, and guess what? I'm a contributor to two blogs now! :D

• Giselle Faber

Ditto. About being crammed and sick. Just had the worst sore throat of my life and had to go to Urgent Care. :( But getting better now. Aw, thanks! Can`t wait to be able to get on SWC more!!!

Nope, not a word. Hadn`t been on in ages till I saw in my email that one of the student profiles was Mia`s.

Awesome! What are they so I can read them? :D <3

• Emily McKinnon

oh nooo!! Glad that you’re getting better! Was it perhaps strep throat? I know that that can get really bad… I’ll keep you in my prayers! <3 Yeah, I can't wait to start talking with you more again. ;)

Haha. Aw, I see…. I was just wondering… I can't really recall… do they do Autumn-time contests?

So, the first one is just this hairstyling blog that me, and a couple of the SWCers contribute to(Clare from SWC is the one who started it, the rest of us just kinda contribute). ;) That one you can find by typing in: setongirlshairstyles dot com (but obviously with a real dot, lol) ;P

And then the other one is really awesome, and I love it. I've only posted one thing so far, but I should have another post up by next month, haha. That one's called maidensformary dot blogspot dot com :D

Let me know what you think of 'em! <333

• Giselle Faber

No, I tested negative for Strep, thankfully. My family just has a history of bad sore throats!! Aw, thanks Emily!!! Me too!!!

Well, I think so. Wasn`t the short story contest in Autumn? Or late summer? I thought it was.

Oh, right. I heard about that! It sounds great! Not that I can do much with my hair now that it is only a couple inches long!! :D

Yes, I read that!! It was totally awesome!!! Good job on that!! <333

• Emily McKinnon

Oh, that’s good. <3 My baby nephew is still recovering from strep… :'( I know how that goes… When I get a sore throat, I really get a sore throat, haha. ;)

I can't remember. I have no clue! I can't recall if their contests are each season, or…i don't know…?

Yeah, me either, haha. I actually need to get a hair trim one of these days come to think of it…….. I do basically all of the hairstyles for girls with short hair, haha. ;)

Thaaaanks! <3333

• Giselle Faber

Ouch, poor thing! I`m glad he`s getting better!!!

I thought so…..but dunno for sure. Guess we`ll figure out some time!

I like having short hair….but I`m trying to grow it back out! I`m tired of it now!!! :D

:) <333

• Emily McKinnon

Yeah… Thanks! <3

Guess so… But, it's already fall….So, I'm just assuming there's no Autumn contest…?

Hahaha! I kinda am too now. xP I want long hair just so that I can do more to it, but…I like myself with short hair better, sooooo….. :P I'll probably end up getting it cut again soon here, actually. Perhaps go out for my bday and get a haircut, lol. :P

• Giselle Faber

Maybe they`re just late with it!! I hope there`s another short story contest soon! Or a photography one would be neat!

Same!!! But I do like long hair for the winter to help keep me warm!!! :D

• Emily McKinnon

I guess so….idk….Either that, or there aren’t autumn contests…. I’m gonna go back and see if I can find any past autumn contests. Maybe they actually don’t do any contests for the fall, who knows? :/ Ikr?!?! I really wanna do another short story contest though!!! I’ve gotten myself back into writing more stories lately, and all of these essays and all that got me back into writing more often. xP And now I really wanna do another short story contest! :D Photography woulf be nice too….idk, I really like short story contests. :P

Hahaha! Guess that’s reason enough. ;)

• Emily McKinnon

found it! they did use to do fall contests! But last year’s, if you can recall, was added to the “Basket of Cheer” contest…. You should be able to find it by searching: fall contest. :D

• Emily McKinnon

Maybe they aren’t doing contests anymore….(?) I haven’t seen any updates lately on ’em, maybe Seton decided to stop holding them….

• Emily McKinnon

Oh, I meant to ask, have you been on SWC or SMB recently?

6. Immanuel Portus

I really got excited with the hunting part! I took an archery class in Florida last summer and it was swell! All I need are green tights and Robin Hood’s merrymen outfit! I’d love to go hunting one day. Awesome job, Amelia!

• Emily McKinnon